Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Heidi's picks for top ten blogs of 2008

I've learned so much from the blogosphere this year. I'm always on the look out for new recipes, great photography and crafty ideas. I've come across some great blogs this year, each an inspiration for my own blog. So here's a big 2008 thank you to those great blogs.

Let the countdown begin.

10. Indie Fixx

This blog contains great tips for music, arts, crafts and interior design. It's updated by guest bloggers frequently. It links out to other craft blogs, so it's always full of new ideas.

9. made by michelle brusegaard

This Minneapolis artist recently quit her job to devote herself to her growing design business. Her blog is entertaining, even if it's not updated very frequently. Hey, she's a busy girl. Her Etsy site is fabulous. Michelle's custom-made stationary is a great gift for those people on your list who seem to have everything. Her work has been featured on my No. 1 pick (see below) several times, and according to her latest post, will be moving to Fargo this summer!

These handmade cards will only set you back 5 bucks.

8. David Lebovitz

I will never achieve this level of culinary skill, but it's fun to read each week. Not only does he make ridiculously awesome food, but he's a great writer. I've never actually tried to make any of his dishes, but I read the blog religiously and usually chuckle aloud at an entry or two. His food photos are eye candy:

Maybe I'll actually try this recipe for candied ginger.

7. bugheart

She's got great style and great art. If only a could knit like this girlie. I also enjoy her photography side project, trinoculars, with her brothers. They are three very talented siblings.

6. angry chicken
This hip mom cooks, sews, crafts and shops. Her recipes never steer you wrong; they're easy to follow and taste amazing. I wish I had more time to try all of the stuff she manages to get done. I'd really like to try this sweater conversion craft. Pure genius.

This cute cardigan started out a v-neck pullover sweater.

5. wikstenmade
I asked for (and received) a sewing machine for Christmas this year because of this blog. Her fashions are out of my price range, but someday I'll own one of her awesome shifts. I'm sure I'll mess up a creation or two while trying to whip up a few of my own.

This scarf is on my Christmas list for next year.

4. Design*Sponge

I found many a gift ideas on this blog chock full of knitting, crafting and design ideas. They even throw in a few recipes for good measure. It's updated at least once a day, giving me something to look between Facebook and CNN.com.

3. Smitten Kitchen

This is the first site I visit if I'm in search of a new recipe. I made "speckled for the freckled" banana bread the other day. Anyone who adds bourbon to a breakfast food deserves a place on my best blog list. I'm also a sucker for creative food photography.

2. Britta Trygstad

This Fargo gal is one heck of a photographer. A former photo editor of The Advocate (shameless shout out), she developed—pun intended—into a photojournalist with a very artistic edge. Her wedding photos for Milestones Photography would make even the most cold-footed bride ready to walk down the aisle.


1. poppytalk

The mother of all hand-made blogs. It's updated (seemingly) hourly. It links out to great Etsy sites I wouldn't have otherwise found and features fantastic new artists. They have news about local art fairs and everything else handmade. This week they have some great ideas for a rockin' New Years Eve party, including decorating, entertaining and recipe ideas for the big night.

This is a drink recipe I'll definitely need to try.

I encourage you to frequent each of them and share your favorites. Who knows, maybe you'll make it on my 2009 list! You know, because this blog is the ultimate authority on everything cool *sarcasm*.

No comments:

Post a Comment