Monday, November 24, 2008

Last-minute baking

I decided to make the pumpkin cookies my mom and I made together last weekend (see Nov. 20 post for recipe). They tasted like crap because I decided to use less sugar since I thought they were too sweet last time. They do look pretty though.




I also made some apple sauce (which will be used in an apple pie for Thanksgiving). I had two large Rome apples left over from last week's groceries.


They were too ripe to just eat, but I sliced them up and added:
1/4 cup sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. cloves
1 t. nutmeg.


I cooked them over low heat for about an hour, stirring ocassionally.

I like to use sweet apples instead of sour ones, which I know many people prefer. By using the overripe apples, they remind me of these pickled apple rings my great grandpa used to eat. Feel free to use harder or tarter apples if that's what reminds you of your grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment