Thursday, December 1, 2011

Holiday Photo Challenge: via The Paper Mama

My niece Tess came over to help me out with a little photo lighting project, and the result was this fun, cozy, fuzzy-warm holiday photo.

IMG_5108

The Paper Mama

UPDATED:

I probably should have included this yesterday when I originally posted the photo, but my lighting experiment was inspired by an interview I did for work with photographer and author Nick Kelsh.

Here's a video with a tutorial on how to build a lightbox that creates that glowy effect when you turn off the flash (and please amateur photographers, turn off that flash):

Nick Kelsh's A Christmas Card from Nick Kelsh on Vimeo.

IMG_5074
All you need is a box, a string of Christmas lights, a hanger and some aluminum foil. Genius.

Here's the story I wrote.

5 comments:

  1. Very cute! I have been trying to do this with my 21 month old and it hasn't been working out too well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mallory. I updated this post to include a video that I followed to help with the lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh! According to Mr. Nick Kelsh, our Christmas card this year is breaking some major rules...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh, Kathryn. Time for a reshoot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! And, great lightbox idea :)

    ReplyDelete