Tuesday, February 14, 2012

TimeTravelTuesday: Feb. 14, 2010

Two years ago today, I got engaged. Wow. Time flies, huh?

I don't know that I've ever recounted this story on my blog, so here goes:

On Valentine's night I returned home from a late shift of page designing at work. I wasn't in the best of moods when I walked in the door, but that quickly changed once I saw the spread on our dining room table. Troy had made heart-shaped cupcakes, which were in fact hearts cut out of a sheet cake with cookie cutters (so cute). He had set the table with wine glasses and some candles.

IMG_3497

I'd  hinted for a couple of months that I was ready to get married, but for some reason it didn't occur to me that this would be the night we got engaged, even after seeing Troy's preparations. We always celebrate Valentine's Day, but we aren't really mushy-gushy romantics about it. So I just assumed he wouldn't be the type to propose on Valentine's.

We took our time drinking wine and eating cupcakes, chatting away. Troy kept prolonging our gift opening, which I found strange since we'd essentially picked out our own gifts during a recent shopping trip. When I finally started unwrapping mine, the perfume I'd selected was in the package along with a jewelry box I didn't recognize.

I continued talking away (because that's what I do ), and was fiddling with the drawers of the jewelry box when all of a sudden I realized something else I'd picked out was inside. MY RING.

Photo on 2010-02-15 at 13.28

The rest is a blur. I remember him saying, "So you want to get married?" and I, of course said, "Yes." Despite it being 3 a.m., I still tried calling my best friend. I barely slept that night, so excited to tell me family. I woke up at 6 a.m. to call my mom and sister.

We'd originally said we wouldn't set a date for a while, but that morphed into us picking New Year's Day. Ten months later we got married.

3 comments:

  1. That's so cute! The day I got engaged my best friend called me, and when I told her where we were going she said... "OHHHH, welll have fuuuuuun"

    somehow she knew it was going to happen even though my fiance didn't tell anyone..

    and I totally love those heart shaped brownies.. that is pretty adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this. the perfect proposal.

    i found your blog via irocksowhat and i am so glad that i did. can't wait to read more!!

    cheeriosandbeer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me! Thanks for reading and following.

      Delete